Tuesday, November 18, 2008

CAT 2008 written test is over, but I'm still not quite over it.

                      QA DI EU OVERALL 
Your Score 29 45 56 130
Predicted CAT %ile 87.62 97.56 99.4 98.48

I can't quite seem to get over the 98.4 pctilish score in CAT 2008. another 45 seconds/1-2 questions in Quant could have meant IIM A/B/C.
Cutoff for iim means around 97.5 pctile barely enough for iim i/k/l
a/c take in much higher scores 98.5-99.5pctile
(Even harvard takes in 95-98 pctile .... but india. of course.. 99.9999999 is what u need to win out here)

iim-b I guess is the exception as it pays more attention to work exp in its selection process.
Unfortunately for me. full time trading for 2 solid years counts as 0 years of work ex!!!
I wonder who would make a better asset manager 3 years from now:
Someone who spent 2 years in a cubicle at tcs/infy and then did an mba finance from iim??
Or someone who actually watched almost every tick for atleast 2 years, studied almost every significant theory on trading the markets and watched/traded one full bull/bear swing.

I think the avg placement salaries are bothering me along with possibly missing out on the 'iim' brand.

IMI avg : 9.89 lakhs, pctile : 94
IMT avg placement: 12 lakhs, pctile 95
Mdi/SPJain avg placement: 12.5/13.5 lakhs, pctile 96-97 (spjain pays more attention to work ex)
IIM I/K/L: 15 lakhs pctile 98-99
IIM A/B/C: 17.5 lakhs pctile 99 (iim b pays attention to workex)

I gotta take a break of some sort to get my mind off the CAT.

2 comments:

snipertrader said...

Frm wht i know - workex and or prof qualification goes a long way to bring down cut-off's for IIMA atleast. This is frm personal experience.

Raja Kumar said...

yes I agree with you.
India is a country of slaves. The British left us and we became a free country but we're still slaves.
A person without a piece of paper called a degree and 'service experience' gets less respect...